Huerta Mediation provides mediation and arbitration services for the legal, human resources, and business communities. For the past seventeen years, Huerta Mediation has been empowering lawyers and their clients to achieve interest based, efficient resolutions of their business, employment, real estate, intellectual property, securities, tort, personal injury, and insurance cases. This is achieved in part by a process which provides parties with the opportunity to be heard and understood, to identify and define risks of litigation, and to develop creative, interest based resolutions.
JANUARY 2015 MEDIATION NEWS
600 West Broadway, Suite 900, San Diego, CA 92101
Telephone: 619-236-7944 | Fax: 619-236-7986
Featured in S.D.
Video Conferencing for Mediation now available.
Lawrence Huerta presents "How To Represent your Client Most Effectively at Mediation" at HNBA Annual Convention
Lawrence Huerta publishes article on What Lawyers & Clients are Looking For In Commercial Mediation in S.D. Daily Transcript
Lawrence Huerta Presents Mediation Seminar to the San Diego County Bar Association
"[In mediation,] what lawyers think is strategic information often turns out to be information that, if they did convey it to the other team, would help settle the case…. The private session might be the vehicle they need to assess the risks of exchanging information…and decide to divulge it to the other side."
J. Anderson Little, Making Money Talk: How to Mediate Insured Claims and Other Monetary Disputes (American Bar Association 2007) at 21
Check These Out:
One to Watch on “Federal Mediation Privilege”
A federal appellate court has accepted an immediate appeal on a discovery ruling by the trial court that there is a “federal mediation privilege” under which documents from mediation proceedings are privileged, but documents from arbitration proceedings are discoverable.
Kimberly-Clark Worldwide, Inc. v. First Quality Baby Products, No. 957 (Fed. Cir., January 10, 2011)
WIPO Dispute Resolution Survey Under Way
The World Intellectual Property Organization’s (WIPO) Arbitration and Mediation Center is conducting a detailed international survey on dispute resolution clauses in technology agreements and use of alternative dispute resolution in technology disputes. The results will be made available in a report that is intended to provide support in negotiating contract provisions and finding good solutions for future disputes.
WIPO.int (February 17, 2011); Survey
“Annapolis Idol” Raises Funds for Mediation
The non-profit Anne Arundel Conflict Resolution Center raises funds by sponsoring an Annapolis Idol event to choose a winner from among finalists who audition to show they have a winning personality and singing ability. This is the fourth year for the Center’s fund-raiser and finalists are expected to sing before a live audience of about 300 guests and a panel of judges.
Anne Arundel Conflict Resolution Center (January 7, 2011)
Other Cases & Resolutions:
Indonesian cabinet secretary has agreed to mediate with media groups after causing upset by calling for the government to boycott media organizations that criticize Indonesia. The Jakarta Globe (February 25, 2011)
- Atlanta and the terminated design team for a new international airport terminal have mediated a resolution to the firing and resulting $60 million in claims against the city. Atlanta Business Chronicle (February 28, 2011)
- Forsyth County Commission reached an agreement with a landfill operator in which the county will be paid $2.9 million in back fees. Waste Management World (January 2, 2011)
- A $1.9 million mediated settlement has resolved claims by Wichita Public Schools against four businesses for shoddy construction. Wichita Business Journal (March 1, 2011)
- Bitter litigation by wine growers against pesticide drift resolved in mediation during appeal of mistrial decision. The Register-Guard (January 2, 2011)
- After dismissing antitrust claims, judge orders mediation by defendant University of Minnesota and 24 orchards and apple growers over remaining procedural due process claim. Star Tribune.com (February 4, 2011)
- A councilor has proposed a “public mediation board” of local officials and politicians to try to mediate a private contract dispute between Exeter Hospital and Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield. Sea Coast Online.com (February 5, 2011)
- Deloitte & Touche involved in mediation over its audits of Washington Mutual that allegedly hid mortgage lending problems. Insurance Journal (January 24, 2011)
- Attorney asserts reputed mob boss’s $250,000 workers’ compensation settlement is reasonable because it occurred in mediation. Chicago Sun-Times (January 25, 2011)
- Mediation ordered in dispute over management of $5.6 million trust. KIVITV.com (January 7, 2011)
- Apotheke partner and its celebrity mixologist ordered to mediate falling out. NY Times.com (January 7, 2011)
- Lawsuit by former CEO of Red Hat and family against investment management firm for loss of $60 million sent to mediation. News Observer.com (January 4, 2011)
- City paying for mediation between two sky-diving companies to ensure safety at municipal airport. The Daytona Beach News-Journal (January 5, 2011)
- Cities of Texarkana, Arkansas and Texarkana, Texas continue to mediate dispute over shared water utility. Chron.com (January 4, 2011)
- Papau New Guinea’s chief judge has ordered mediation between Exxon Mobil, landowners and the government over a multi-billion dollar LNG project. Radio New Zealand International (January 24, 2011)